ABE Volunteer Program (AVP)
Are you interested in having biotech professionals visit your classroom to share stories about their career pathways with your ABE students? If so, consider taking part in the ABE Volunteer Program.
We believe that if students can’t see themselves reflected in biotech careers, they won’t pursue them. It is the goal of the Amgen Foundation and the ABE Program Office to bring a diverse group of Amgen staff into classrooms to share their experiences in school and in life toward achieving their goals of working in biotech, whether in research and development, marketing and communications, information technology, manufacturing, or accounting! All jobs are necessary to make a biotechnology company run successfully.
This AVP Teacher Toolkit includes information about the program, tools to help you and students plan for your visit from an Amgen volunteer, and a link to register. If at any time you have further questions about the program, you can reach out to your program site AVP liaison Jared Auclair (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email Kerry Ouellet (email@example.com), AVP manager at the ABE Program Office.
Experience the AVP through the eyes of teachers and volunteers by reading news posts, blog posts, and career profiles published on the ABE website:
- New Funding and AVP Testimony: Bringing Cutting-Edge Science to Classrooms Across the World
- News: Amgen Foundation President Shares Biotech Career Journey with ABE Students
- Blog Post: Real-World Biotech Experiences to Broaden the Narrative
- Blog Post: ABE Volunteer Program: Bringing Biotech Careers into the Classroom
- Career Profile: Hillary McLoughlin, Amgen Thousand Oaks
- Career Profile: Krista Dong, Amgen Massachusetts
Biotechnology Job Resources:
- Search biotech companies by specific U.S. state location or worldwide; or by business area: https://www.biotech-careers.org/biotech-companies
- Search Biotech Jobs, and view Employer Career & Internship pages: https://www.biotech-careers.org/biotech-jobs
- Get an overview of the multidisciplinary biotech job areas and careers: https://www.biotech-careers.org/job-areas
Classroom visits to Chelsea, Massachusetts (left) and Sun Valley, California (right)